Zonisamide is a sulfonamide anti-seizure medication. Unrelated to any other anti-seizure drug, Zonisamide is an anticonvulsant drug that works as an initial epilepsy treatment or as an adjunct for hard-to-control seizure conditions. Sold per Capsule.
Who is Zonisamide Capsule for?
For use in cats and dogs.
Why use Zonisamide Capsule?
Features of Zonisamide:
- Offers a low incidence of adverse reactions compared to other seizure drugs
- Can control seizures with once-daily administration
- May be used with other anti-seizure medications
How does Zonisamide Capsule work?
While the exact mode of action is not clear, Zonisamide is thought to block sodium channels within the brain that decrease nerve cell activity, preventing them from firing abnormally. It could also have an effect on brain calcium levels.
Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, Invagen, Sun Pharmaceutical or other generic brand
How is Zonisamide Capsule sold?
Sold as individual capsules in strengths of 25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg.
What are the side effects of Zonisamide Capsule?
The most frequently-reported adverse reactions are:
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
What special precautions are there?
- Do not use in pregnant animals. Zonisamide can cause birth defects.
- Speak with your veterinarian if your pet has kidney or liver disease. Risks and benefits should be carefully weighed before administering Zonisamide.
- Never administer Zonisamide to pets with sulfonamide allergies or allergies to similar drugs.
What to do if overdose?
Contact your closest animal hospital.
How can I store Zonisamide Capsule?
Store at room temperature. Keep away from light, pets, and children.
- If you have any questions about proper administration of Zonisamide, speak with your veterinarian.
- This medication should always be given whole. Do not break the capsule.
- This drug may be administered with a meal or without.
- Ensure constant access to water while your pet is on this medication.
- Follow your veterinarian's administration instructions carefully.
Pharmacists are standing by to offer Pet Parent counseling regarding prescription medication purchased from Allivet before and after dispensing. Pharmacists on duty are available Monday-Friday, 9:30AM - 5:30PM EST and will be on call Saturday 12:00PM - 4:00PM EST for consultation.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.