Levetiracetam is a recently-developed anti-epileptic medication used to manage refractory epilepsy.
*Sold by the tablet in strengths of 250 mg, 500 mg, 750 mg or 1000 mg.
What is Levetiracetam Tablet?
Levetiracetam is prescribed by veterinarians in combination with other medications to treat certain types of seizures in pets suffering from epilepsy.
Who is Levetiracetam Tablet for?
For use in cats and dogs.
Why use Levetiracetam Tablet?
Features of Levetiracetam:
- Up to 60-70% of epileptic cats and dogs are not adequately controlled by bromides or phenobarbital. In these cases, Levetiracetam may be prescribed as an add-on treatment.
- It may be used in the treatment of seizures caused by phenobarbital-induced liver damage or hepatic encephalopathy. In these cases, adding Levetiracetam can allow for a lowered dose of phenobarbital without increasing the frequency of seizures.
How does Levetiracetam Tablet work?
Levetiracetam is considered an anticonvulsant. It reduces abnormal brain excitement.
Hetero Labs Limited, Intas Pharmaceuticals, Aurobindo, Lupin, Sandoz, Teva, Accord, Camber or other generic brand
How is Levetiracetam Tablet sold?
Sold by the tablet in strengths of 250 mg, 500 mg, 750 mg or 1000 mg
What are the side effects of Levetiracetam Tablet?
Adverse reactions are infrequently reported with Levetiracetam. Any medication used to control seizures could potentially incite drowsiness. Some cats may experience temporary loss of appetite when starting Levetiracetam.
What special precautions are there?
- Should be gradually withdrawn when discontinuing use. This will prevent withdrawal seizures from occurring.
- Should be administered cautiously to animals with decreased kidney function. Dosage and frequency may require adjustment.
- Should only be administered to pregnant animals when a veterinarian has weighed the possible risks against the benefits of treatment.
- Has caused an increase in fetal loss and embryonal loss in laboratory animals.
What to do if overdose?
In case of overdose, contact your closest emergency pet hospital.
How can I store Levetiracetam Tablet?
Store at room temperature 59°F to 86°F (15°C to 30°C).
Levetiracetam can be a safer choice than other anticonvulsants. Do not suddenly discontinue use of Levetiracetam without first consulting your veterinarian.
Pharmacists are standing by to offer Pet Parent counseling regarding prescription medication purchased from Allivet before and after dispensing. Pharmacists on duty are available Monday-Friday, 9:30AM - 5:30PM EST and will be on call Saturday 12:00PM - 4:00PM EST for consultation.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.